Friday, May 27, 2016

Foodie Recipe: DIY Homemade Taco Seasoning





Unfortunately this past week I didn't get to make the new recipes I hoped to make because I wasn't feeling very well a couple of the days and because I was simply in the mood for TACOS! I love making tacos because it is super easy and it reminds me of hometown, San Diego. Plus most ingredients for tacos can be freshly made or store bought. I cheated a little this week by not making homemade salsa, but I always use homemade taco seasoning. 

Homemade taco seasoning is really easy to put together and doesn't have MSG nor the amount of sodium some store-bought spices have. I started making my own two years ago and haven't looked back since. This recipe is for 1-2 servings, but if you make tacos a couple of times a month or more, you should definitely multiply the number of ingredients. I usually make 5-10 times this recipe and store it in my pantry. It usually lasts me six months or longer as I only use 3-4 tablespoons for the whole meal. I store it in a plastic container that seals really well to keep out the moisture.


DIY Taco Seasoning
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (add more to make hotter; this is mild)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon paprika powder
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper powder or smoked paprika (optional)
Pinch of dried cilantro (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper



To use, simply add 1-3 tablespoons per pound of food. I generally add it after my food is cooked, or add it to water and make a reduction of it with the vegetables. I add more salt to taste as the recipe has as limited amount of salt. Check out our homemade salsa verde recipe. 



Marquita Bell is soaper-in-chief and the owner of The Body Buffet where foodie meets beauty. Based out of Philadelphia, The Body Buffet aims to cultivate beauty inside and out from foodie adventures, self-care tips, and via handmade artisan soap, shampoo bars, facial bars, laundry soap and more. They use local ingredients when possible and have aimed to make conditioning skin-loving, hair-loving, clothes-loving soap since 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment